Jaileigh Speaks

Marriage and Family Matters

My Second Son’s Birth Story

My second pregnancy seemed more difficult than the first. I was nauseated more often than not until the third trimester, I was in more pain and achy ALL the time, and I was way more emotional this time around.

My Second Son’s Birth Story


I had had a doctor’s appointment earlier in the day. We had scheduled an induction date for a week later with nearly two weeks to go before this little guy would make his grand entrance into the world.

It was an exciting time because the induction date turned out to be what would have been my parent’s anniversary (we had lost my dad to cancer three years before this).

My husband and I had scheduled for our oldest and only child to spend the night with my mom tonight, so we enjoyed a relaxed date night. I couldn’t tell you what we did, but I know that we enjoyed the night together.

The night ended of course with some love making and all was well.

I had been timing some contractions earlier that night just to see if I was progressing any. My doctor had said that I was already dilated to around 2 centimeters earlier.

I was cramping a bit and contracting slightly, but nothing that I was really worried about. I laid down in bed and drifted off to sleep.

Turn of Events

            I was awoken by my phone ringing around one-thirty in the wee hours of the morning. Our first born was having a bloody nose at grandma’s house and wouldn’t let her help him get it cleaned up and controlled. I tried to talk to him, but he was so tired and just wanted to go back to sleep. I talked my mom through what we normally do at our house to help him and she said she would try.

Now I was wide awake. I was worrying about my first baby and if he was going to calm down enough for grandma so they could both get some sleep. I had gotten up and was preparing to pack an overnight bag to just go over and stay with them (thankfully, she lived in town).

I received a text around two o’clock saying that he had settled down and that they were laying down. Everything was well again and I could go back to sleep. I laid back down after putting my clothes back in my dresser and got comfy. I could not get back to sleep.

What Was That Noise?

“Pop, pop”, came two small pops down in my lower abdomen where there are no bones to pop. I waited a minute thinking that it was a spoof and I was just anxious for baby number two. Just to be sure, I got up and went to the bathroom. Nothing was happening, so I went back to my bedroom. I put a towel down on the floor so I could stand on it, just in case.

Nothing happened.

What seemed like several minutes passed by (it was only three to five) and then I felt it.


Waters had officially broken on their own.

I tapped my husband on his side he turned over and gave me a dirty look.

“My water just broke,” I announced.

“Do I have time to take a shower?” was his response.

(Insert laughter here)

“Seriously?” came my reply.

I didn’t argue, and he hightailed it to the shower and back out again. My hospital bag had already been packed for a couple of weeks, so I waited patiently while he packed his.

Hey, Baby’s on the Way

I called my mom. She answered her phone.

“My water just broke,” came my nervous voice.

“OK, what do you want me to do with my grandson?”

“I guess, call great grandma. She may still be awake anyway. Drop him off there and get to the hospital as soon as you can. Love you”, came my instructions.

We loaded up into my truck and I tried calling my boss.

No answer. I was supposed to open that morning and that wasn’t going to happen now.

So, I called my sister-in-law and told her she would have to open for me because I couldn’t get ahold of our boss. I also told her to call her mom when she woke up and let her know that we are having baby number two today. (I did finally get ahold of my boss, and started my infinite maternity leave from work).

On the Road Again…

We don’t live far from the hospital, but when contractions started, they HURT. Not as bad as being induced with Pitocin, but they were still unpleasant. I had called the hospital and let them know that I was coming in because my water had broken.

We pulled up to the door and got unloaded. I leaked the whole way there and started to get grumpy from the pain. Oh, yeah, it was a full moon that night too.


Arrival and Admittance

I was taken the triage in the maternity wing and had to go through all my information and junk like that while contracting and just plain uncomfortable. The nurse that was registering me was trying to be quick, but it wasn’t fast enough.

“Are you sure your water broke?” she asked.

“Yes,” I said through gritted teeth, “this is my second child and I know what having my water broken feels”.

I didn’t mention that it was leaking down my legs and probably making puddles on the floor, but at the point, I was ready to get into a room and get my epidural!

I finally got into a room and Joel and I got settled in by about four o’clock in the morning. My mom made it and joined us.

Preparing for the Show

I got my epidural pretty quick and I forced myself to sleep. I knew what I was in for this time around, so I needed the strength. I woke up a few times here and there, but overall slept pretty good until around eight o’clock that morning.

The monitor that they had on the baby kept slipping off. His heartrate decided to drop too, so they quickly called my doctor and she got there around eight-thirty.


Time passed quickly, and the actual pushing only took less than ten minutes.

At nine-fifteen, Joel and I welcomed our second son into the world.

He was happy and healthy and, thankfully, his heartrate straightened out.

AND, no tearing for mommy this time!

Differences from Our First Son

We enjoyed a private room where I gave birth and then baby got stay the whole time with us! No more nursery visits (except for the circumcision). We enjoyed newborn pictures from a local photographer AND we only had to spend one night at the hospital instead of three like before.

Final Thoughts

As many of you know, I am expecting baby boy number three. I have three months to go and am so anxious to meet him! Thank you for taking the time to read my experience and feel free to share your story in the comments, or leave me a link to your story and I will check it out!


God Bless!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.